Monday, March 1, 2010

Mentorship is a gift we give and receive

I am writing on mentorship today as part of a "call for posts" that Holly Hoffman put out to the blogging community.

Basically, we are asked to write anything we'd like on the topic of mentorship. So, here goes it:

Mentors

I have, and have had, a ton of people that I look up to and from whom I have received remarkable wisdom and guidance through the years. I am eternally grateful to all of them.

What I find very striking is the timing of this "call to post" from Holly.

Just today (March 1, 2010), I joined a group of 7 other individuals and a life coach to work for an entire year on making our dreams come true. Certainly, we have our coach that we can all draw from, but then we will also all have each other. We meet via teleconference every 2 weeks for the next year (March 1, 2011). I get to learn from their struggles and triumphs, and they will get to do the same with me. Today was our first meeting, and I could not help but think that perhaps I have a team of "mentors-in-the-making" right in front of me. Wow, pretty cool, huh?

The other aspect of this "interesting timing"is that 2 days from now will mark the 2nd year anniversary of my father's passing. My father, Harry Lewis Marks, was not only a remarkable man and mentor for me, but he was also a mentor for so many people he knew. My mother, brother, and I were all blown away by how many people wrote us letters after his death and told us just how meaningful knowing my father was to them.

Today I celebrate mentorship. Mentorship is a gift we give and receive.





1 comment:

  1. How ironic (or divine intervention) that the first post I find about you is about mentorship! Why? Because I was searching for a Registered Art Therapist in the Corpus Christi Area for a mentor as I decide to go back to school for this degree. I currently have a Bachelor of Fine Arts that I did very little with and a Masters in Nursing with which I make my living. I would love to combine these two chosen callings in the form of Art Therapy. When I went to the website for the college I am interested in, it states I must have "Access to local registered art therapists near where the applicant lives." There are only two of you in Corpus Christi.

    ReplyDelete